St Luke's Anglican Church

Captains Flat

 

 

 

St Luke's Church has five new stained glass windows.  These were designed, constructed and fitted by Glass Artisan, Alois Mikula OAM, of Canberra whose work can be seen in many Canberra homes and institutions. 

 


EMAIL US

St Luke's Window

This window honours Luke, patron saint of the church, an evangelist and also the author of the Acts of the Apostles.  Luke was a product of one of the Universities of antiquity, probably of Alexandria, where he studied medicine and took the equivalent degree of a modern doctor of medicine.  As an inquiring and educated person he took pains to research the early life of Jesus.  From he we have the details of the Nativity and main incidents of His life before He began His public ministry.

The window depicts St Luke's account of the birth of Jesus.  At the base is the book of St Luke's Gospel with a relevant quotation.  Above this is a stylised manger with the Infant represented by a Maltese Cross in a circle.

The background of blue-black grass indicates the night, and the date palm trees, the Palestinian landscape.  High in the arch is the star of Bethlehem in a dark blue background of Flemish glass.  A broad ray of white light reaches the manger.

 

 

The Australia Window


This design interprets Australia from its early discovery to the celebration of the centenary of the Australian constitution.  At the base are stylised primordial elements believed to have formed the world:  earth, fire, water and air.  Above these is the centennial map of Australia.  It bears the original Latin name given to the continent by the Spanish explorer de Quiros in 1606:

 

TERRA AUSTRALIS DE SPIRITU SANCTO

 

Above the map is a tree with six main branches interpreting the six states and two smaller ones for the two territories.  Under the lowest branch are two typical landmarks of the Australian outback: the windmill and the homestead.  The birds represent Australian wildlife.  Although some may be part of the coat of arms of a state, it was not the intention to represent states by birds.

 

At the zenith is the well known constellation of the southern sky.  The Southern Cross is both a religious symbol and an Australian symbol in the National Anthem and forms part of the Australian flag.

 

 

 

Altar  Window

 

For his design he chose a cross and the motive of the dove from the tapestry behind the altar so that the stained glass window blended with the general atmosphere of the church.

 

The main feature of this window is the cross.  This type of cross is called a CELTIC CROSS.  Its distinguishing feature is the circle where the two branches of the cross meet.  Above it is the dove   -    a symbol of the Holy Spirit, the third person of the Holy Trinity.  The white beams centering on the dove denote the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

 

Around the cross are featured grape vines and ears of wheat, traditional representations of the Eucharist.

 

 

Memorial  Window

 

 

The window commemorates the miners and other workers of the region who utilised the mineral and pastoral wealth over the years.

 

The lower part represents a stylised aspect of the workings of Lake George Mine. Its name was engraved in concrete over the outlet of one of the loading bays and is reproduced at the head of this part of the window.

 

The body of the monument has the same proportions as the one erected in Tobruk in memory of Czechoslovak soldiers who died in the defence of that harbour in 1941.  That monument is a tapering obelisk with the cross at the apex.  In the window there is a difference in the cross.  The original is a simple cross, whereas in the window there are two circular pieces, one at the base, the other where the two arms cross.  These are not glass but thin polished pieces of rock.  They symbolize the ores dug out by miners.  The obelisk has an inscription from St Paul's epistle to the Corinthians.  This quotation is appropriate as it invites later generations to build on the endeavours of their predecessors.

 

Above the cross is a stylised poppet head which stood on the top of the vertical shaft through which the ore was lifted to the surface.  In the 1950s there was a scraggly tree to the side of the poppet head and a primary bin which is still on the site, although in a poor state of repair.  On top of the poppet head was a light which could be seen from afar at night.  In the window the yellow rays are very faint.

 

 

The  XP  (ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ)

Peace  Window

The XP  is short for the name of Christ in Greek characters.  In Latin script it is read as XP and often taken for PAX, the Latin word for peace.

 

The representation is similar to the altar window using the same type of bright gold Russian glass for the main feature and vine and wheat motif as filler.

 

Four of the windows (excluding the Altar Window) have incorporated a few rhomboid pieces of white glass from the original windows dated from 1895.  These are smooth on the side which faced the interior of the church, but coarse and gritted   ‑  due to atmospheric action   ‑  on the reverse side.